Between the Lines program
Between the Lines program
What is Between the Lines program?
In cooperation with the prestigious International Writing Program (IWP) and Iowa Young Writers Studio (IYWS), ECA’s Cultural Programs Division is pleased to announce that the fourth session of Between the Lines (BTL) will take place summer 2013. Between the Lines brings young aspiring writers from Arabic-speaking countries in the Middle East and North Africa to the University of Iowa to spend two weeks honing their creative writing skills along with their American peers. Through a highly competitive application process, the IWP assessment committee will select 12 young writers from Arabic-speaking countries. The students will be accompanied by 2 adult chaperones, also from Arabic-speaking countries, to and from an overseas departure city to be determined. More information about this program can be found here: http://iwp.uiowa.edu/projects/BTL/index.html
Who can apply?
· Students must be between the ages of 16 and 19 as of July 10, 2013 and proficient in Arabic and English (reading, writing, and speaking). The ideal candidate will:
· Demonstrate an interest in and ability to write creatively (fiction and/or poetry)
· Fully engage their imaginations in a variety of class settings
· Confidently work alongside other BTL students in Arabic-language classes as well as American students in English-language classes
· Chaperones must be between the ages of 25 and 40 as of July 11, 2013 and proficient in Arabic and English (reading, writing, and speaking). The ideal candidate should:
· Demonstrate experience working with young people, particularly students in the demographic (secondary school/college undergrad)
· Be able and willing to expand his or her teaching strategies/expertise by attending a week-long Iowa Summer Writing Festival class (presented at the University of Iowa)
· Be willing to assist BTL faculty and IWP staff with projects related to promoting creative writing and the teaching of creative writing in the Middle East
· Aspire to a literary career and/or a teaching career involving creative writing and/or literature
The deadline for submitting completed application packages is February 15, 2013.
To apply for Between the Lines Program, please send us:
· Writing samples and personal statements in both Arabic and English in order to be considered for the program.
· Current, valid passport copy (English and Arabic biodata pages)
· If you are applying as a Chaperone please also include a resume or CV and a brief statement of purpose (both in English) describing what you hope to achieve by attending BTL, as well as how your participation can benefit the program.
These documents must be scanned and emailed to the Cultural Affairs Specialist Serajeddin Mshawet with the subject "BTL - Last Name" by the application deadline. Candidates must be available for an in-person interview in Tripoli in late February 2013.
Please Feel Free to Contact the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli: