Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Adult First Time Passport

U.S. passports are issued only to U.S. citizens.  Each person, including children, must obtain his or her own passport.  In order to apply for a first passport all applicants must appear in person at the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy.

If you are applying for a first passport for a child under age 16, please see the Minor Child Passport section in the left-hand menu for special requirements.  If you are applying for a first passport for a newborn child, please see the section on Birth of a U.S. Citizen Abroad .

Required Documents

If you are a first time applicant, or your passport was issued more than 15 years ago, please complete and submit application Form DS-11.  Please do not sign this form until asked to do so at the consular section, and if you have an U.S. Social Security number, please complete block number 6 on the DS-11.  You will need to provide the following at your interview:

  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship (please see below);
  • Proof of Identity (please see below);
  • Two identical passport photographs (the Embassy will reject any photographs that do not meet the specified requirements); and
  • Fees.  The application fee is $135 (or 185 Libyan dinar).  Payment can be made in U.S. dollars or local currency.  Please bring the exact amount. We cannot give change in U.S. dollars or Libyan dinar.

Proof of U.S. Citizenship

  • Applicants born in the United States.  Submit the original U.S. birth certificate.  For certified copies, please contact the state in which you were born.  The National Center for Health Statistics maintains a list of states' contact information; BIRTH CERTIFICATES ISSUED BY THE HOSPITAL ARE NOT CONSIDERED OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS.  A birth certificate must include your given name and surname, date and place of birth, date the birth record was filed, and seal or other certification of the official custodian of such records.
  • Applicants born outside the United States.  Submit Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, or a Report of Birth Abroad.
  • If you are claiming citizenship through naturalization of parent(s), submit the original Certificate(s) of Naturalization of your parent(s), your original foreign birth certificate, and proof of your admission to the United States for permanent residence.
  • If you are claiming citizenship through birth abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s), submit the original Consular Report of Birth (Form FS-240) – for certified copies, please contact the Passport Services Office at the Department of State – or original Certification of Birth (Form DS-1350 or FS-545).
  • You may also submit your original foreign birth certificate, your parents' marriage certificate, your parent(s)’ proof of citizenship, and an affidavit of your U.S. citizens parent(s) showing all periods and places of residence/physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.  Proof of your parents time in the United States may include their old passports with visas from the time you were born, U.S. school diplomas and transcripts, and your parents' Family Book.
  • Applicants Claiming Citizenship through the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 (CCA).  The CCA grants automatic or expeditious naturalization to the minor children of U.S. citizens abroad and went into effect on February 27, 2001.  Step-children do not qualify.

Proof of Identity

You must establish your identity to the Consular officer's satisfaction.  In order to do so, you may submit documents such as:

  • a valid passport of any country; or
  •  valid driver's license with photograph; or
  • a national identity card with photograph; or
  • a valid federal or state government identification card; or
  • a U.S. military identification card.

If you cannot prove your identity through documents, you must appear with an identifying witness who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien who has known you for at least 2 years.  Your witness must prove his or her identity and sign an Affidavit of Identifying Witness (Form DSP-71) before the Consular Officer.  You must also submit some identification of your own.

To submit your passport application, please make an appointment online.

What NOT to Bring...

  • Prohibited Items

    Your visit to the Consular Section will go more smoothly if you DO NOT BRING the following items...