Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
How to File a Petition

All lawful permanent residents and American Citizens resident in the United States or with a permanent address in the United States will file I-130 petitions at the USCIS Service Center having jurisdiction over their place of residence as indicated on the USCIS website.

Embassy Tripoli cannot accept any immigrant visa petitions at this time.  All immigrant visas are currently being processed at U.S. Consulate Casablanca.  For more information, please refer to their website at

Any petition (I-130) which is not completely and properly filled out or which is not accompanied by the necessary documents will not be accepted.

If a petition is submitted to the Embassy, a consular officer will have the authority to approve it. If the consular officer decides that the case is not clearly approvable, the Embassy must forward the petition to USCIS Rome for further processing. This USCIS process may take six months or longer. Any decision to forward a petition to Rome is final.

To file a petition for your spouse, child, or parents you must be prepared to document your relationship to the beneficiary, your U.S. citizenship and your residency in Libya. Though the consular section has attempted to include all basic requirements in these instructions, cases may require additional documentation. If you have any questions about documentary requirements, please contact the consular section directly.

If you are an American citizen filing a petition for your family member, you will need:

  • A completed Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative.
  • A completed Form G-325A Biographic Information for you.

  •  A completed Form G-325A Biographic Information for your relative.

  • Proof of your U.S. citizenship (a passport valid for at least five years at time of issuance, a naturalization certificate, or birth certificate).

  • Your relative's proof of citizenship and identity.

  • Your family member’s birth certificate, two original copies officially issued from the Libyan civil records translated to English. Please be advised that copies from the family book will not be accepted as birth certificates .

  • One (50mm x 50mm) photograph of you and one of your relative.

  • The petition-filing fee of $355, payable in cash.  (USD or LYD equivalent).

  • A police certificate from the beneficiary’s country of current residence and country of nationality, if residence in such country exceeds six months. Police certificates are also required from the countries in which the beneficiary has previously resided, if residence there was for more than one year. Please bring an English translation of the certificate(s) as well.

    Your family member must come with you to fill out additional forms at the time you file the petition.


    All applicants must now file directly with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in the United States.  Further information and all required forms can be found at  Please click on this link for further information 

    All documents must be originals or certified copies.

    All documents must be officially translated into English.

If you are filing a petition for a spouse:

  • The Consulate cannot accept any petition in which one or both spouses are under the age of eighteen (18).
  • You need your marriage decree/contract issued by the Libyan government (religious documents are insufficient evidence of relationship).
  • You may need proof of termination of any prior marriages.

If you are filing a petition for a parent:

  • If you have been legally adopted, you may not petition for your birth parent.
  • Your birth certificate showing both parents' names.
  • If your name or your parent’s name is different from the names on your birth certificate you must provide evidence of the legal name change.
  • You need a copy of your parents’ civil marriage certificate and a copy of any divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees that would show that any previous marriage entered into by your mother or father was ended legally.

If you are filing a petition for a child:

  • You need an original marriage contract between you and the child’s other parent.
  • Children need to have their own passports.


  • For Visa Inquiries, you can call the Consular Section at +218-(0)21-337-3100 or +218-(0)21-362-0710 between the hours of 12 PM and 4:45 PM, Sunday through Thursday. Or you can also reach us by email at or by fax at +218-(0)21-362-1007.

  • What NOT to bring to your appointment...
    What NOT to bring to your appointment...

    Your visit to the Consular Section will go more smoothly if you DO NOT bring the following items (Click on the icon).