Doing Business in Libya
What Can the U.S. Embassy do for You?
The U.S. Commercial Service at the American Embassy in Tripoli offers valuable assistance to help U.S. business export goods and services to markets worldwide. Entering into any foreign market can be tricky and Libya is no exception. While there are a number of opportunities in this market, there are also major challenges that need to be managed.
Through the U.S. Commercial Service office at the American Embassy in Tripoli, we are able to offer a limited range of for-fee services to help you identify trade opportunities and find local partner. For more information, please check services for U.S. companies below.
Note: On October 21, 2013, the Libyan government announced that U.S. companies wishing to do business in Libya will no longer be required to obtain third party certification of any documents prior to legalization. Please contact the Libyan Embassy in Washington, DC for more information.
- Services for U.S. Companies (PDF 40 KB)
- Background Note, U.S. State Department
- Libya Summary, International Monetary Fund
- Consular Information Sheet
- General Information about Libya
Investing in Libya
Legal and Regulatory Documents
- Law No.(9) on Promotion of Investment* (PDF 152 KB)
*This is a Libyan government translation. The law predates the revolution. As such, it may change with little notice.
Tenders and Market Opportunities
Libyan Service Providers
The U.S. Embassy in Tripoli, Libya assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department of State or the U.S. Embassy.
- AL-KOUN For Commercial Registration
- Majeri law Firm- Commercial Registration
- Al-Shammakhi Firm for Legal Services and registration of companies
- Ernst & Young
- Sultan for Accounting, Auditing and Tax Consulting
- Kanoun & Co. Tax - Management - Finance And Contracts Consultants
- Ahmed Ghattour & Co.
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.
- BusinessUSA.gov is the U.S. Government's official web portal to support business start-ups, growth, financing, and exporting.